Periodontal disease, commonly called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. Yet it is so widespread in the United States that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated at Stewart & Hull Aesthetic and General Dentistry in Comstock Park.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper dental hygiene and having regular dental cleanings and exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Contact Stewart & Hull Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):