Biofilm is a group of micro-organisms existing together in a moist, gel-like film. It is everywhere that water contacts a non-sterile surface. It is found in the human body and in nature. Here are a few facts about biofilm:
• We all have biofilm in our mouths, cheeks, teeth, gums, tongue.
• These biofilms cause tooth decay, gingivitis and periodontitis.
• The inflammation in the mouth caused by microbes in biofilm has been implicated in general health problems, such as cardiovascular disease.
• Dental plaque, or biofilm, can contain as many as 500 different microbes.
• The longer the biofilm stays uninterrupted, the greater the potential for dental problems.
• Disrupting the biofilm growth through brushing, flossing and rinsing is key to your dental health.
If you have any questions about biofilm, feel free to ask us at Dr. Eric Hull’s office!