At Stewart & Hull Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Comstock Park, we want to see our patients at least twice a year for a checkup and cleaning. A checkup can give you real peace of mind, especially since every one we do includes an oral cancer screening.
Lung and breast cancer get a lot of public attention, and rightfully so. But there is less awareness of oral cancer, even though it claims almost 10,000 lives in the United States every year.
We want to broaden awareness of oral cancer and the significance of early diagnosis.Here are five important things to know about oral (mouth) and oropharyngeal (back of mouth and throat) cancers.
- About 80% of men and women with oral cancer use some type of tobacco (cigarettes, chewing tobacco, pipes).
- 40% of men and women who receive late-stage diagnosis of oral cancer pass away within five years. The survival rate for early stage diagnosis is 90%.
- In many cases, it is extremely challenging for the individual to detect oral and oropharyngeal cancers because they can produce indistinct symptoms or no symptoms at all. Any abnormality in the mouth or throat, even if small and painless, should be evaluated by a dentist or doctor.
- HPV (the most prevalent sexually transmitted disease in the US) is the most common cause of oropharyngeal cancer. Of the many strains of HPV, HPV16 is the one most often linked to oropharyngeal cancer.
- African American men have a higher risk of dying from oral cancer than do whites.
At Stewart and Hull Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Comstock Park we use the VELscope Oral Cancer Screening system for highly accurate oral cancer screenings and diagnoses, as part of our general and family dentistry. Schedule your next checkup today!
Contact Stewart & Hull Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):